Friday, May 3, 2013

Tribute to Bob and Bettye, dear friends in Christ




My heart was impacted in a huge way this past week. A dear woman who is a cherished friend of mine lost her husband on April 27th after a long illness period. They were married for 57 years and raised four beautiful children and have lots of wonderful grandchildren. After the memorial service today, I sat at my computer to write about it and the Lord gave me a sweet tribute to share. I posted it on our church's Facebook and community pages and I'd like to share it here on my blog as well. I hope you are blessed by it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I attended the Memorial Service today for Bob Barnes here at Blackhawk Church and am still aglow from how much my heart was touched and encouraged in the celebration of his life. I am moved in a way that's hard to put to words but I am compelled to share.

When I joined Bettye Barne's bible study in 2006, I had no idea how much impact she and her husband Bob would have on my life and the life of my family, especially in ministering to me during a very traumatic postpartum depression time. It's not often that I've met a couple with such love and devotion for Jesus, in living for Him and sharing their faith with those around them.

I stopped by Bettye's home yesterday to offer my sympathies. I knew it was the day of her bible study, but I thought it would be cancelled and that the cars must be of her extended family. I was touched to find out she was still holding her bible study and looked truly radiant as she recounted to me all that happened in this week of preparation after Bob's passing. It was not until this morning, when I was getting ready for Bob's funeral, that something hit me in such a powerful way. After 57 years of marriage to Bob, I expected to see Bettye deep in grief. What blew me away was that instead of being lost in grief, she was singing God's praises. That Bob is no longer suffering and in pain, for her incredible family who have stayed all week making all the arrangements and taking care of every little detail including legalities ... she shared how she had seen the Lord's hand at work again and again within the minutiae of plans, arrangements and legal things. She told me this had truly been a glorious week. Wow.

As I was thinking about all this, being blown away by her faith in the midst of her loss, the song "I Will Rise" by Chris Tomlin came on the radio; a song I've listened to and sung many times - but today I really heard the words for the first time. It makes me look forward to the day when I too, will be called home, into the wonderful arms of my Savior.

"And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagle's wings
Before my God fall on my knees And rise, I will rise"

Thank you for reading this. I hope you enjoy the video and the picture above of Bob and Bettye when they came to my son's dedication/2nd Birthday celebration.

Thank you Lord for the B's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf7t3P9ISrE


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As always, 
Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am so sorry about your friend.I was a a wake and a funeral this week also and it is very hard. Prayers to his wife she has the right attitude for sure. Hug B. B

Brigitte said...

I am sorry about the loss of your friend, I lost my dad last month, and it is hard, but there is a lot of relief knowing there is no more suffering or illness. Take care!

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!