Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hash Brown Tuna Casserole Creation





There are a few dishes that I'm always on the lookout to improve ... and one of those in our home is Tuna Casserole. About a year ago when I started making a roux for the sauce, that was a huge improvement. Then recently I came across the idea to put hash browns on top! We love potatoes in this home, so I couldn't wait to try it. I think I've finally created what will be our go-to tuna casserole recipe. I found the recipe with the hash browns at the Pencil Kitchen. My recipe below is actually a combination of several recipes I've tried and liked over the years that I've now combined into one. Hope you enjoy it if you try it.

Ingredients:

  • 4 T butter
  • 2 to 4 T flour
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 2 cups cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1 large can flaked Tuna
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
  • few stalks of celery
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 T minced garlic
  • peas
  • egg noodles
  • hash browns, preferably thawed but I used frozen


Instructions:

  • Melt the butter in a large pot and whisk in the flour. Stir for almost a minute before adding milk. 
  • Slowly add the milk stirring thoroughly over medium high heat and cook until bubbling. Be careful to stir frequently so it doesn't burn or scorch. 
  • Add cottage cheese, cheddar, Parmesan and stir until completely melted.
  • Add garlic powder, salt/pepper to taste, bread crumbs, Worcestershire.
  • Using a fork, add tuna to mixture along with cooked peas.
  • In a separate saucepan, cook onion, celery and garlic in a little butter until tender and add to mixture.
  • Cook the egg noodles until done and add to tuna mixture.
  • Place in either a large casserole dish or dutch oven. (I used a dutch oven.) 
  • Place enough hash browns on top to cover and then sprinkle some shredded cheddar.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes until nicely browned. You may even need to turn on your broiler for the last 5 minutes to get them browned on top, which I did.
Enjoy!!


Thanks for visiting!


2 comments:

Brigitte said...

I never thought to put cottage cheese in a tuna casserole! Sounds yummy in the cold weather!

momto8blog said...

yum...love the twist of the hash browns..

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!