Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Blessing of Forgiveness


The day started off with J being in a fussy mood. This carried into his swimming lesson where he just never really let go and had fun. He was stiff and cranky and just didn't enjoy it. Our instructor works well with him though and gives J space when he needs it. He said it's only lesson 3 so I need to give him time and patience with getting used to something so different. So I really need to let go of my expectations and ask God for patience.

I finished Luke 7 today and it was a story that I find very powerful, the woman who anoints Jesus' feet. Luke 7:37-38 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. The Pharisee seemed put off that Jesus would allow her to touch his feet. This was such an intimate expression of love. Jesus shares a parable that teaches those who have been forgiven much, love much yet those who have been forgiven little, love little. He then in a matter of fact way lists the ways this woman has shown her love for him from the moment she came in and how the Pharisee didn't. Jesus says to her that her sins are forgiven, that her faith has saved her and to go in peace. I know that peace he's talking about. A peace that comes when you can allow your darkest deeds to be forgiven and you let Jesus make you clean. I am so thankful for his mercy in that way.

We hung out at the library for a bit today and returned a bunch and got a bunch of books. I found some good ones for J; a couple dinosaur books, fire bears book, counting book with tractors, dump trucks, etc., a Veggie Tales book and an Elmo alphabet book. He loved knocking over the giant stacking blocks and he loves hanging out there. It was hard to get him to leave though.

Our friends from our life group have been so good to us with watching J when L & I want to go out together. They took him again tonight. L's coworker was having a party and invited us but to be honest I really didn't want to go. I'd know absolutely no one and would rather stay back with our life group friends and J. I didn't want to let L down so I went and we met two couples we hung out with most of the time. That was good. Afterward, J was having so much fun playing with their kids when we came back that he didn't want to leave. We had a really long goodbye. After getting him to bed, I realize I am just exhausted while I am writing this so I think I'll wrap it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!