Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Blogger Light - My Birthday Gifts

Here is another posting under my "Blogger Light" heading, something not very deep but something I wanted to share about.

















I try not to get too bogged down by "things" or too wrapped up in them. That being said, there are sometimes these purchases that you make that are very satisfying; ones that you searched and searched for or hemmed and hawed about and finally took the step and had a great result.

So this year I had my 40th birthday and was intentional about some money that I got as a gift from my dad and step mom and also my sister's 85-year-old father-in-law who is so generous. I usually just put it in the bank, but this year I decided to make a couple purchases. I had $100 to spend which was so generous. Well, I never thought to put a mixmaster on my wedding gift registry years ago so whenever I was baking or mixing I did it by hand (ugh) or used a hand mixer. Over the years, I've thought about a Kitchen Aid which is what my mom and sisters use, but I really don't bake enough to justify spending that kind of money. So I was really excited when I found a Wolfgang Puck mixmaster, not brand new but refurbished. It was only $25! I have had so much fun using it! I've made breads and cookies so far. My pumpkin bread recipe is so yummy that I've made 3 batches of it so far. I don't even frost it anymore, it is so light and moist you really don't need it. And my son loves it! So he's getting some veggies and fruit with every piece since it has pumpkin and banana in it.





















The other purchase I made for my birthday was a pair of warm winter boots. I have been searching and searching for probably the last 3 years for a good pair of warm, waterproof boots. I can't count how many pairs I tried on and they didn't fit or bought and had to return them because something just wasn't right. Until the ones I just got from the Sportsmen's Guide. I did end up getting a pair last year but the boots are very stiff and don't give in the ankle. I had a conversation with one of my sisters who was having the same problem, that it can really be hard to find a good pair of boots. So these boots fall under the category of "Pac boots". First off, they are usually somewhat expensive, starting anywhere around $50 and going up to $200. I wanted a pair that laced up that also had the waterproof part. I had suede in the past and my feet would often get wet from the snow soaking in. These fit so well, are very comfortable and I really like the way they look. I got them for $44. In general, I always look forward to snow because I have loved the outdoor activities of wintertime since I was a kid. I love snowshoeing in our city's arboretum and our parks, cross country skiing, hiking. Now that I have a child of my own, I am going sledding in winter and just having fun out in the snow. This winter, I am looking forward to having really comfy feet and getting a lot of wear out of these boots over the years.

Picture credits: Wolfgang Puck Mixer; Sportsman's Guide Boots

2 comments:

Tea said...

Oh, I have been looking and looking for some good boots. I don't want to spend a lot, but I really want to be able to go out and enjoy the snow with our son this year. I really need to hurry up and get a pair.

I'm glad you're enjoying your birthday gifts!! That's always nice. And.. Happy Birthday!!!! :)

Tracey M. said...

I think there are still a lot of great deals out there! Hope you find a pair. It'll be so fun being outside and enjoying time with our boys this winter.

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!