Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Books We are Reading

One of J's favorite activities is reading books and I absolutely love cuddling him on my lap and reading. I found a few book blog hops that I like linking up to. Not only is it a great way to record the wonderful books we've read, but I've found so many new good book ideas by visiting each week. Click on the buttons at the bottom to see what others have been reading!







Dream Snow by Eric Carle
I think this is our very first Eric Carle book we've read. I've seen his books around, but this is the first one we picked up. I'd have to say this was J's favorite one to ask us to read this week. It could have had something to do with the little button at the end that plays a few notes of music. (He is really into button pressing lately!) This is a cute book about a simple farmer who cares for a barn full of animals every day. One day, he falls asleep and wakes up to the first snow of the season right before Christmas. He realizes this is real snow, not "dream snow". He gets his winter gear on (and looks very much like Santa) and goes out to decorate a tree right outside the barn. When he's done decorating he shouts, "Merry Christmas!" and then you push the button. They have cute overlays on top of the pictures that are like a covering of snow. That was interesting. Overall, it was pretty cute and very simple.



The Gingerbread Man by Eric Blair
J is really fascinated with all things gingerbread right now. He loves this book with its cute illustrations and the timeless story. We made gingerbread cookies this past week and he had fun playing with the cookie cutters like toys. We picked ornaments off the tree at the YMCA to buy gifts for those in need and he picked the gingerbread ornaments. We also found this great Richard Scarry you tube video of The Gingerbread Man. He just laughed every time the little gingerbread talked. Here's the video link: The Gingerbread Man. This is a cute one.



Good Night Engines by Denise Dowling Mortensen
This is a very sweet bed time book that we are enjoying reading. Every other page rotates between a boy playing with his toys that have engines and scenes of real engines. I really liked the illustrations and the colors, especially the pictures with sunsets in them. It is also very simple without many words and a good one to prepare J for going to sleep.



Here Comes Diego phonics reading program books 7-12
by Quinlan Lee

J is really enjoying Diego on DVD lately where they do all different kinds of animal rescues and focus on environmental issues related to animals that are endangered or threatened. So it was no surprise that he really likes this book that has 5 different short stories in it. He also liked to hear this one several times throughout the week. It is such an easy reader that he was also able to "read" it to me. It was incredible to hear him tell the story by looking at the pictures and remembering what was happening on each page. I am also an animal/nature lover so I love sharing that interest with my little one.



One Snowy Day by Tammi Salzano
I was drawn to this book by the picture on the front of a cute little penguin in a hat standing next to an igloo. It is a board book, which I rarely get nowadays, but it is also a counting book which is really good for J. I like to point to the pictures and have J count with me on each page. He enjoys that and makes sure I do it if I forget.



One Snowy Night by M. Christina Butler
So we went from One Snowy Day to One Snowy Night and I thought this one was adorable. This book started out with a hedgehog who gets a beautiful red hat (the present drops out of the sky) but the hat doesn't fit so he wraps it up and gives it to his friend Rabbit. The hat continues to go from animal friend to animal friend (Rabbit to Badger, Badger to Fox and Fox back to Hedgehog). The hat just doesn't seem to fit anyone until the fox but then Fox finds the hedgehog buried in the snow and very cold so he puts him into the hat. It's then the animals come together and decide the hat should belong to hedgehog. I shared with J this reminds me of what God says to us, that as we give it shall be given unto us. Oh, it's also a touch and feel book and the hat is a beautiful red color that is fuzzy to the touch. We liked touching the hat on each page and talking about how soft and fuzzy it was.



Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner
Last winter, we read Snowmen at Night but I found out they had a Christmas one so I got it from our library. I love the way the illustrator makes the evening lights and Christmas decorations seem to sparkle and glow. It's another cute story about how the snowmen celebrate Christmas when no one is watching. They all gather together in the square and trim the trees, eat cold treats and dance and play together. The author has even hidden different objects on each page that J and I tried looking for. We found the little mouse just about every time, but the other objects weren't as easy to spot. This was a nice book for the holiday season.


Spot's First Christmas by Eric Hill
I found out first Spot book (Where's Spot?) at our local thrift store and had no idea how much J would like it. The one from the thrift store is missing just about all the flaps, but he still loves it. I often would catch him reading it on his own, so I found a Christmas one from the library. He hasn't been into this quite as much, but it is still a cute one about Spot and his daddy getting ready for Christmas together.




Click the links below to see what others are reading!


1 comment:

momandkiddo said...

I'd like to pick up a copy of Dream Snow. It looks good and I love Eric Carle.

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!