Saturday, July 3, 2010

Two firsts for J....Farmer's Market and Fireworks


Today we got an early start leaving at 8:15am heading over to our friend's house. We made plans to go to the Madison Farmer's Market together. Right away, J wanted to play outside and we found their new swing. It was connected to some really tall trees so as J was swinging he'd say, "I'm swinging in the trees momma". I was worried he'd slip off but he had a good grip on the swing. We went on the trampoline next and J loved it when I'd chase him from outside and grab him through the net.

We finally set off for downtown and the capital square. I was so glad I remembered his stroller. Our last time downtown at the concert on the square I forgot it and because of the crowds we had to carry him the whole time. We stopped to hear an acoustic country-bluesy band and Susan took a dance around with J. We then walked around the square looking at all the farmer's booths. I got some really fresh sugar snap peas and a small loaf of chocolate zucchini bread. J started saying "revolving door mommy?" which was from concerts on the square when he went through his first revolving door. So we took a walk through the capital and he got to go through the doors several times. Before leaving, we stayed to watch the band again and this time I gave J an egg shaker they had for the audience and he shook it and danced and got really into it.

After the market, we went back to Susan's for lunch. J had just shared a banana strawberry smoothie with me so I think that's why he only ate a little bit of cheese, bite of pickle and some chips (and of course some cupcake for dessert). I had a wonderful lemonade and mint blender drink Susan made. It was really refreshing. I love mint. Susan's husband John read J a Dr. Suess book. That was cute. Then Susan read him a book. It's great to see him getting comfortable with family and friends.

During my devotional time, I continued in Luke 22 where Jesus is praying in the garden of Gethsemane and says in verse 42: Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me. Beth says this request of Jesus to the father should make us catch our breath. At this point, Christ could've walked away from the cross. He was overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. I had to stop and think about that - sorrow that brings you to the point of death? Wow. He was enduring more stress and grief than the body was meant to handle. Dear sweet Jesus, do not let us forget. You who submitted completely to the cross on our behalf. All you had to do was call upon legions of angels and you would have been rescued. After this, we read about Judas and his betrayal of Jesus. Betrayal is bad enough, but to betray him with a kiss? Verse 47 and 48: He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" Beth shares that few things rend the heart like betrayal. Unfortunately, I have known that experience of betrayal. The pain goes so deep! When you have trusted someone so deeply and they turn on you, it is crushing. It just tears you up.


We decided to go downtown to the UW Terrace to watch Madison's biggest fireworks show which you can see from there. I showed J fireworks on the computer and was talking it up so he was pretty excited. We ate dinner at Chipotle and J was in a happy mood dancing in the booth and being affectionate with me.

We got to the Terrace and set up our chairs by the lake. The weather was perfect. It had been a warmer day so the night stayed fairly warm but with a good breeze which kept the bugs away. J got busy playing with his little people and cars. Then I read him a book. I looked up and saw my friend Carolina with her boys so they joined us to watch the show. Her son Steffano just loves J. Pretty soon they were chasing each other around and Steffano was tickling J. Even after the fireworks started, J was more interested in playing with him than watching. He'd have me pick him up here and there but then I'd put him down and off he'd go on the chase. The bad part of the night was when we were packing up and J sat in his chair and it fell backward and he hit his head. He was crying fiercely and ended up with a mini goose egg. This is like the third time this has happened with that chair so I have to contact them about it. Once he calmed down, we all left together to walk back to the car. J let me ice it once we got home and then he insisted on cleaning up his bristle blocks (which he had dumped on the floor before we left). He sang the Barney clean up song and asked me for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!