Friday, March 12, 2010

Mom's night out


This morning I woke up and was not feeling good. I went in to Julian and he was in such a good mood I had to try and be perky. It didn't work. Within a few minutes I was in the bathroom getting sick. It was odd because then I felt better and it seemed to go away. I was able to respond to Julian's request that I read him the Thomas book.

I read more of A Place of Quiet Rest. She had written a beautiful prayer that the Lord would use this study and make us more like Jesus in our response to our circumstances. She prayed (and I shared her prayer) that I would have a deeper desire to make this relationship the most important in my life. That is my heart's desire. She included some words from Elizabeth Elliot who lost her husband years ago when they were missionaries in Ecuador. She reminds us how we need him every hour. How as we get older we realize just how desperate is our need for him and that there is no way to lead the Christian life without strong effort, faithful commitment and the spiritual disciplines (like spending time alone with God).

In A Heart Like His we were finishing 2Samuel 11, the demise of David. Something that really stood out is that from the time he first had the thought of desiring Bathsheba to then asking his servant to get her to then actually bringing her into the palace, he never stopped to reflect and repent, crying out to God for help. Instead he fell deep in sin with Bathsheba and then deeper still in arranging the death of Uriah. So not only did he commit adultery, but then when she got pregnant he tried to arrange it so her husband would sleep with her and think the child was his. When that didn't work he didn't just let it go but instead arranged for Uriah to be killed on the battlefield. What I'm taking away from this is that the KEY is really our minds. That our thought life and what is happening there is key. It is so important to examine and always be aware when our thoughts are leading to potential sin. This is a good verse to memorize and keep near your heart. Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

I took Rio to the vet today. Their main finding is that she is very dehydrated and she's lost about 50% of her body weight. The only way to know more would be to do tests starting with blood work. It could be kidney disease, thyroid disease, cancer, they're just not sure. I just want to do comfort care at this point since she is so old. So they are having me give her daily IV's which I started today at the vet's which should prevent her from dying a horrible death from dehydration. I still need to decide now how long we watch and wait. When I brought her home in her carrier, Julian laid on the floor in front of it talking to Rio. Then I put her in the comfy chair and he tried to play with her. I had to tell him she was not feeling well and give her space and he says "Rio has an owie." He learned this word when mommy cut her finger with a knife two days ago. So cute to see him use the word in that way.

Tonight I had a great time going out with my friend Cecile. We got tickets to a concert by Fernando Ortega, a Christian artist. I had seen him about five years ago and really liked his music so when I heard he was coming to our church I knew I wanted to go. It was a great show and I liked his sense of humor. I forgot just how funny and candid he is as he introduced the various songs. This is also the weekend Blackhawk dedicates to the arts so we got to see the art showcase afterward. I really missed putting Julian to bed! It's so rare I do these nights out and so I'm so used to being the one putting Julian to bed and doing our little routine. It's great though that daddy got a chance to spend some time alone with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. They are a blessing to me!